Thursday, August 21, 2014

My Story About Enid Blyton



My funny and weird story about Enid Blyton..

                   I remember  when I was in primary school, I love to read storybook very much, especially those about mystery and adventures. I was thrilled to read story about a group of friends who went for a holiday or some outdoor activities somewhere,then engaged  themselves in a mysterious situation where they become ‘detective’. So heroic .That kind of stories make me dream , if I ever experiencing the same situation where I need to be a heroine, to save the poor ones.. 

         One of my favourite storybook  was The Famous Five series written by Enid Blyton. There were a lot of her collections in my school library, so whenever I got a chance to go to the library, I would read the books. Sometimes, I would just borrow it. The surprising thing was that, I read so many of her books yet I never knew  that her real name was Enid Blyton!! Not until a few years after that. Why?? Because,when I saw the author’s name on the front cover of the book, it was written in fancy fonts. The alphabet was continuous with one another. I couldn’t figure out each single alphabet. My eyes read  ‘Enid’ as ‘Guild’. Strange, isn’t it?? But that was the reality. Since Enid Blyton is such a famous author, I’ve heard about her name before. So, I thought this 'Guild Blyton' could be her siblings. Only years after that,or maybe when I started my secondary school I realised my mistake. All these while, I thought 'Guild Blyton' was the author of the books I read, not knowing that the name never exist. Since then, I have to reset my mind and brain about the fact. It it not easy to change something which you believed for long. Even until now sometimes, I still think that Guild Blyton is the author. :-D

                   How did I find out my mistake? I  found the same book series with same title but the book has  different cover and publication language. It was in English. Back then,the same series I read was published in Malay language. So I looked at the writer’s name. It was Enid, not Guild. And,actually I never came across the name Guild Blyton anywhere other than that I used to before. In addition,when I asked some of my friends about any writer  by the name Guild Blyton, none of them said yes. So,this strengthened the fact that I was wrong. When I think back, I feel that was funny, and so pity of me. But of course,my friends just laughed when I told them about this. For years I read her books and I keep wondering so many times about this 'Guild' name. I have uncleared doubt and uncertainty with me, but I tried to assure myself that I might be right.

               And  worse than that,I thought that she is ‘he’. Well,Enid sounds like a male name for me. Just until recently I realised my mistake. So,the lesson I learnt was, if we have any doubt, don’t just let them be. We have to ask, or searching anywhere for the answer. It never hurts just  by asking  people to clarify our doubt about something. Sometimes we don’t bother about it because we don’t think it is important, or maybe it is not our concern. But the ugly truth is,we always assumed we are  right in fact we are wrong. And it can be a lifetime mistake...


--by NOTCAR99-


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi.i really2 need this book by enid blyton for educational purpose.can u contct me at this number?0193782325